CBI may question Buta Singh in bribery case
New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday said Buta Singh may be questioned in the Rs 1 crore bribery case in which his son Sarobjit has been arrested.
"If necessary, we will. No decision has been taken on it yet. We will go by the law," CBI director Ashwani Kumar told reporters here on being asked whether the investigating agency will question Buta Singh, Chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes.
Asked whether there was any political pressure on the agency in connection with the case, Kumar replied in the negative. "No, there is no political pressure".
He also refuted reports that the agency has sent a report on this case to the Home Ministry. "Absolutely not", he said in response to a question.
The CBI arrested Sarobjit yesterday on charges of demanding a bribe of Rs 1 crore from a Nashik-based contractor to close a case against him. Three others, including Anup Begi, the middleman and two hawala operators, who were said to be working for Sarobjit, were also arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured