CBI may question Buta Singh in bribery case
New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday said Buta Singh may be questioned in the Rs 1 crore bribery case in which his son Sarobjit has been arrested.
"If necessary, we will. No decision has been taken on it yet. We will go by the law," CBI director Ashwani Kumar told reporters here on being asked whether the investigating agency will question Buta Singh, Chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes.
Asked whether there was any political pressure on the agency in connection with the case, Kumar replied in the negative. "No, there is no political pressure".
He also refuted reports that the agency has sent a report on this case to the Home Ministry. "Absolutely not", he said in response to a question.
The CBI arrested Sarobjit yesterday on charges of demanding a bribe of Rs 1 crore from a Nashik-based contractor to close a case against him. Three others, including Anup Begi, the middleman and two hawala operators, who were said to be working for Sarobjit, were also arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city