CBI not to file fresh case from Liberhan Commission report
New Delhi: The CBI has decided in
principle not to file any fresh case from the Liberhan
Commission report which indicted 68 people including BJP
stalwarts Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani for demolition
of the Babri Masjid but will go into details of some incidents
as pointed out by the Home Ministry.
Recently, a meeting between CBI and Home Ministry
officials was held during which the investigating agency said
that prima facie there did not seem to be an iota of evidence
to register a fresh case in the demolition case as it would
not stand the legal scrutiny, officials privy to the meeting
However, there are some points that need to be probed
further which would be done in due course of time, the
officials said, adding that the report was still with the CBI
and had not been returned to the Union Home Ministry.
The CBI team attending the meeting said there was no
further evidence projected by the Liberhan Commission that
warranted a fresh case of a supplementary charge sheet and it
would not be proper for the agency to take any action against
those indicted in absence of any proof, the officials said.
Liberhan Commission, which submitted its report after
17 years in 2009, had indicted 68 people including former
prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in the demolition case and
had recommended fresh investigations into their role.
The report, besides terming Vajpayee as pseudo-
secularist, had found all of them culpable for communal
However, the CBI officials at the meeting maintained
there was a case which was at present under trial. A charge
sheet in this case had been filed after a detailed
investigation against the conspirators in 1993 itself which
includes names of Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharti,
Sadhvi Ritambhara, Ashok Singhal and Giriraj Kishore.
The government had handed over the Liberhan report to
the CBI in November 24, 2009 asking the investigating agency
to look into the leads generated, which purports to be fresh
evidence, by the Commission during the course of its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL