CBI opposes bail plea of Malegaon blasts accused
Mumbai: The CBI Friday opposed the bail
application filed by nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts
case, saying they had not mentioned any valid reason for
In its reply filed before the special Maharashtra
Control of Organised Crime Act court here, the central
investigation agency said, "The accused persons have not put
forward any valid ground for consideration of their bail
application and thus their bail application deserves to be
The CBI said that it is conducting further
investigation after obtaining formal permission of the court.
Nine Muslim men, who were arrested in connection with
case and have been in jail for the past four years, had moved
the MCOCA court on January 17 seeking bail, citing Swami
Aseemanand`s confession pointing to a right-wing group`s
involvement in the attack that killed 36 persons.
Aseemanand, who was arrested last November for his
alleged role in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts, had said in his
confession recorded before the magistrate last month, that a
right-wing group was responsible for the 2006 blasts, which
killed 36 people and injured over 100.
The blasts took place near Hamidia mosque in the Bada
Kabristan area around 1.15 PM on Friday on September 8, 2006,
after the Shab-e-Barat prayers.
The police had arrested nine persons - Salman Farsi,
Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif
Khan, Javed Sheikh, Farooque Ansari and Abrar Ahmed - for
their alleged involvement in the blasts.
In December 2006, the case was handed over to the Central
Bureau of Investigation. The special court had directed the
investigation agency to file its reply to the bail plea by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH