CBI places in SC status report on Tatra truck accused
New Delhi: Opposing the plea for permission to travel abroad, CBI on Wednesday submitted in the Supreme Court a status report on the probe relating to NRI businessman and controversial Vectra Company chief Ravinder Rishi for alleged irregularities in supply of Tatra trucks BEML.
Additional Solicitor General Sidharth Luthra placed the status report in a sealed cover which was read by a bench of justices Altamas Kabir and Chelemeshar.
The bench, after going through the report, asked the registry to "re-seal" the report.
The apex court also brushed aside the plea of Rishi for expeditious hearing of the matter after his counsel submitted that the matter was urgent as the NRI needed medical attention.
"Why you don`t have doctors in India? What is the difficulty in getting him examined by doctors in India," the bench shot back.
The apex court however, directed CBI and the Centre to file their response to the amended petition moved by Rishi challenging among other things the "look-out notice" issued by the probe agency. Rishi had moved the apex court seeking permission to visit the United Kingdom for medical treatment of his various ailments, which CBI has vehemently opposed saying he may not return.
57-year-old British national, Rishi, is facing a CBI probe in connection with alleged irregularities in supply of Tatra all-terrain trucks to public sector BEML.
CBI had earlier told the court that the accused`s alleged role in the deal and conduct during the investigation does not inspire confidence and his plea to travel abroad was only an "attempt to evoke the sympathy of this court".
CBI placed before the bench various medical reports, including sonography, to state "there is no danger" to Rishi`s health.
Rishi`s counsel had earlier submitted before the court that he is suffering from "cirrhosis of the liver with portal hypertension" and other complications, which required expert medical treatment and that being a British national and earlier undergoing treatment there, it was necessary for him to continue the treatment in England for at least 30 days.
The counsel had also submitted that Rishi was cooperating with the investigation agency and had visited them at least on 10 occasions without giving scope for any complaint.
The Vectra chief has been quizzed several times at CBI headquarters here in connection with alleged irregularities in the Tatra truck deal as he has a substantial stake in Tatra Sipox UK.
The agency has registered a case naming Rishi and unnamed officials of Defence Ministry, Army and BEML on March 30 for alleged criminal conspiracy, cheating and relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
CBI is probing alleged irregularities in assigning of supply from the then Czechoslovakia-based Tatra, with which the agreement was originally signed in 1986, to Tatra-Sipox UK owned by Rishi in 1997 showing it as original equipment manufacturer and fully-owned subsidiary of the Czech company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi