`CBI plea to shift Sohrabuddin case from Guj contempt of SC`
New Delhi: BJP today accused Congress of
being "obsessed" with the protection of human rights of
"terrorists" and said the CBI`s plea before Supreme Court
to shift the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case outside
Gujarat amounts to contempt of the Apex Court.
Charging the Congress with "misusing" the CBI in the
Sohrabuddin case, the party said there are about 170 cases of
fake encounters pending with the NHRC and hoped that the Apex
Court will take cognisance of these cases too and order CBI
probe into them.
"It is ironical today that Congress is obsessed with the
human rights of terrorists and does not want to address the
issue of terrorism per se. It does not want to address the
issue of national security, Naxalism, law and orders but
obsessed with human rights of criminals," BJP spokesman
Prakash Javadekar said at a press conference here.
He said Gujarat Chief Minister has raised a "very vital
question" about the CBI seeking transfer of Sohrabuddin`s
case from Gujarat.
"Party (BJP) agrees with the "anguish and pain" of
Narendra Modi over the issue. When CBI wants shifting of case
from Gujarat, we believe that this is actually a contempt of
the Supreme Court because Gujarat High Court judges are not
appointed by Gujarat government but the Supreme Court," he
Javadekar described Sohrabuddin as a "dreaded terrorist
and criminal" and alleged Congress is trying to make him "a
"Congress is concerned for the protection of a dreaded
terrorist but not for those 30,000 people who fell victim of
Bhopal gas tragedy," he charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls