CBI probe into Tagore Nobel medal theft closed
Bolpur (WB): The five year investigation by
the CBI into the theft of Rabindranath Tagore`s Nobel medal
and other memorabilia from Rabindra Bhavan museum in
Santiniketan, was on Thursday officially closed.
ACJM, Bolpur, T N Bhakat accepted the petition of the CBI
to close the investigation.
The court`s move comes after superintendent of police,
special crime branch, CBI, Kolkata wrote to the court on
August 20, 2009, that "We are not progressing with the probe".
The theft of the medallion and 47 other pieces of
memorabilia came to light on March 25, 2004. Five days later,
the CBI started an investigation. But after three years of
fruitless probe, the agency closed the case on August 30,
2007, only to reopen it on September 18, 2008.
Incidentally, on several occasions reports surfaced that
the medallion had been smuggled to Bangladesh but no concrete
proof could be obtained on this.
The Nobel Foundation replaced the original medal, which
the bard from West Bengal had won in 1913, with a replica in
gold in December, 2004, the year it was stolen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp