CBI proposal to honour Pak national shelved
New Delhi: CBI has shelved its proposal to posthumously honour a Pakistani national who was the first Chief of Special Police Establishment (SPE), the forerunner of CBI, in the wake of opposition from certain quarters.
The agency was planning to call the Lahore-based family of Khan Bahadur Qurban Ali Khan, an officer of Punjab cadre from the erstwhile Indian Police (IP), who was the first Chief of Special Police Establishment (SPE) which later became CBI in 1963.
Khan, who was also stated to be one of the founding members of Pakistan`s spy agency ISI, was among a host of former Directors of the country`s premier probe agency who were to be honoured on April 6 here on the occasion of CBI`s golden jubilee celebrations, official sources said today. ISI was formed in 1950.
CBI had even approached the External Affairs and Home Ministries for making necessary arrangements and requisite travel documents for the Khan family to visit Delhi.
However, some former bureaucrats voiced reservations on Khan`s role before partition and immediately after 1947 prompting the agency to shelve the proposal, the sources said.
SPE, which was set up in 1941 by the British Government, was designated to investigate cases of bribery and corruption in transactions with the War and Supply Department of India, which was set up during the course of World War II, with Lahore in undivided India as its headquarters.
Khan, who was the Superintendent of War Department, was made the Chief Administrator of SPE.
Even after the end of the War, the need for a central agency to investigate cases of bribery and corruption by Central Government employees was felt.
The Delhi Special Police Establishment Act was, therefore, brought into force in 1946 and Khan continued to head this department till partition after which he migrated to Pakistan and was appointed as Inspector General of one of the province of North West Frontier Province (NWFP, now known as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Khan had also become Governor of NWFP from 1954-55. He retired as Inspector General of Police in 1953.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM