CBI questions Abhishek Verma
New Delhi: Naval War room leak case accused Abhishek Verma was on Friday questioned by the CBI in a separate case against him for allegedly taking money from a defence supply company for an assurance to stall its blacklisting by the government.
CBI sources said Verma appeared before the CBI sleuths for questioning this morning.
The CBI had booked Verma in a fresh case alleging that he took USD 5.30 lakh from Swiss-company Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) on promise that he would use his influence to stall blacklisting proceedings intiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam surfaced.
The CBI booked the company, Verma and unknown persons under section eight and 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, CBI sources said.
Section 8 of the Act relates to taking bribe to influence public servants and carries a punishment of six months to five years.
After registering the case, 10 CBI teams, who were later joined by the criminal investigation unit of I-T, swooped down at 10 locations in Delhi and Gurgaon which included four premises of Verma, offices of RAD in Vasant Vihar and Satya Niketan and farm house of its Director Mahinder Sahni in Kishangarh and three associates of Verma, they said.
Recently, Verma had reached a Delhi court with a complaint against his former partner C Edmond Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents and emails to defame him.
Allen had filed complaint with CBI Director and other top officials alleging that Verma received funds from RAD for bailing it out.
The court had taken cognisance of the complaint of Verma, and posted the matter for recording of his pre-summoning evidence on July 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test
- Turkey forms state of emergency coordination committee
- BIZARRE: On this flight, passengers go nude at 30,000 feet altitude – Watch viral video
- PITIABLE PLIGHT OF INDIAN ATHLETES: Training with worn-out shoes, Rio-bound sprinter Dutee Chand pleads for new pair