CBI questions Abhishek Verma
New Delhi: Naval War room leak case accused Abhishek Verma was on Friday questioned by the CBI in a separate case against him for allegedly taking money from a defence supply company for an assurance to stall its blacklisting by the government.
CBI sources said Verma appeared before the CBI sleuths for questioning this morning.
The CBI had booked Verma in a fresh case alleging that he took USD 5.30 lakh from Swiss-company Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) on promise that he would use his influence to stall blacklisting proceedings intiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam surfaced.
The CBI booked the company, Verma and unknown persons under section eight and 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, CBI sources said.
Section 8 of the Act relates to taking bribe to influence public servants and carries a punishment of six months to five years.
After registering the case, 10 CBI teams, who were later joined by the criminal investigation unit of I-T, swooped down at 10 locations in Delhi and Gurgaon which included four premises of Verma, offices of RAD in Vasant Vihar and Satya Niketan and farm house of its Director Mahinder Sahni in Kishangarh and three associates of Verma, they said.
Recently, Verma had reached a Delhi court with a complaint against his former partner C Edmond Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents and emails to defame him.
Allen had filed complaint with CBI Director and other top officials alleging that Verma received funds from RAD for bailing it out.
The court had taken cognisance of the complaint of Verma, and posted the matter for recording of his pre-summoning evidence on July 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'