CBI rebuts allegations of tardy probe
New Delhi: CBI has refuted allegations of adopting a selective approach in high profile corruption cases including of those of disproportionate assets against BSP supremo Mayawati and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Replying to former BSF Director General Prakash Singh, who had complained to CVC on behalf of NGO India Rejuvenation Initiative, CBI refuted the allegations of tardy probe.
"A person as knowledgeable and battle hardened as you have chosen to cast aspersions on the functioning of the CBI without taking pains to ascertain the facts from CBI where a large number of officers are known to you," CBI said in a strongly worded response.
It questioned why only these politically sensitive cases have been raised whereas the agency is seized of number of other cases which may not have "generated media interest but are equally important".
Giving case by case rebuttal of allegations, CBI said the agency is doing whatever is required under the law.
"CBI is fully aware of its Constitutional and legal obligations," it said.
The letter said the agency can proceed only when it gets enough evidence which is legally tenable.
Singh had alleged tardy probe in select high profile corruption cases including of disproportionate assets against Mayawati and Yadav.
In his letter to CBI Director Ranjit Sinha, Singh alleged that the investigating agency was "dragging its feet" in many cases.
"We are, however, dismayed with the functioning of the CBI in quite a few cases, in which the organisation has played it cool to the extent of dragging its feet. On the other hand, there have been cases where the organisation has been over enthusiastic," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health