CBI registers PE to probe CWG OC recruitment scam
New Delhi: The CBI on Tusday registered a
Preliminary Enquiry to probe alleged irregularities in the
appointment of officials in the Commonwealth Games Organising
Committee with hefty pay packages.
CBI sources said that the PE was lodged against unknown
persons in the Games organising body after it received several
complaints and references from the Central Vigilance
Commission claiming violation of norms in the appointments.
They said the complainants alleged involvement of sacked
OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi, who is at present in judicial
custody, and his close aides for irregularities in the
In its PE, the CBI has alleged that during the period of
2003 to 2009, some persons were nominated to the OC who had
no expertise for various jobs.
The sources said that during the probe, CBI will be going
into all the appointments of senior officials in the OC.
The Games organising body had an overall strength of
about 2,100 officials engaged for various duties related to
the mega sporting event. At present, there are about 100
officials on the rolls.
The CVC has also conducted an enquiry into the alleged
recruitment scam following complaints that it showed ghost
employees on its muster rolls and violated norms while
The High Level Shunglu Committee had also found alleged
irregularities in the recruitment procedures followed by
certain OC officials.
CBI has registered 15 cases to look into alleged criminal
conspiracy and financial irregularities by various Centre and
Delhi Government civic and construction agency officials in
carrying out Games-related projects.
Besides, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appointed panel
had also submitted six reports claiming corruption and
procedural lapses by various government agencies during the
mega sporting event held here between October 3-14 last year.
They said that CVC has also asked the Chief Vigilance
Officer of the Sports Ministry to probe irregularities in the
whole recruitment process and submit a report.
CBI officials have also taken all relevant documents from
the OC headquarters here and for detailed scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state