CBI registers PE to probe CWG OC recruitment scam
New Delhi: The CBI on Tusday registered a
Preliminary Enquiry to probe alleged irregularities in the
appointment of officials in the Commonwealth Games Organising
Committee with hefty pay packages.
CBI sources said that the PE was lodged against unknown
persons in the Games organising body after it received several
complaints and references from the Central Vigilance
Commission claiming violation of norms in the appointments.
They said the complainants alleged involvement of sacked
OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi, who is at present in judicial
custody, and his close aides for irregularities in the
In its PE, the CBI has alleged that during the period of
2003 to 2009, some persons were nominated to the OC who had
no expertise for various jobs.
The sources said that during the probe, CBI will be going
into all the appointments of senior officials in the OC.
The Games organising body had an overall strength of
about 2,100 officials engaged for various duties related to
the mega sporting event. At present, there are about 100
officials on the rolls.
The CVC has also conducted an enquiry into the alleged
recruitment scam following complaints that it showed ghost
employees on its muster rolls and violated norms while
The High Level Shunglu Committee had also found alleged
irregularities in the recruitment procedures followed by
certain OC officials.
CBI has registered 15 cases to look into alleged criminal
conspiracy and financial irregularities by various Centre and
Delhi Government civic and construction agency officials in
carrying out Games-related projects.
Besides, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appointed panel
had also submitted six reports claiming corruption and
procedural lapses by various government agencies during the
mega sporting event held here between October 3-14 last year.
They said that CVC has also asked the Chief Vigilance
Officer of the Sports Ministry to probe irregularities in the
whole recruitment process and submit a report.
CBI officials have also taken all relevant documents from
the OC headquarters here and for detailed scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi