CBI scanning property docs of Railway Board member
New Delhi: CBI is analysing property documents of arrested Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, who is facing allegations of paying bribe to nephew of then Railway Minister PK Bansal to get posting of choice, to find out if he has amassed wealth beyond known sources of income.
Sources said the agency has recovered some documents during searches at his official residence in Mumbai while some were found from a different location where they were hidden by a Railway Protection Force inspector.
They said agency is trying to find out whether a case of disproportionate assets can also be slapped against Kumar who is already facing allegations of corruption.
Sources said CBI has recovered valuables worth over Rs four crore which included jewellery and some property documents which might be used to build a DA case against the officer if satisfactory explanation is not given by him.
The officer is in judicial custody along with Bansal`s nephew, Vijay Singla and other middlemen who were also nabbed in connection with the bribery scandal, they said.
The case relates to reported aspirations of Kumar for his elevation as Member (Electrical) in the Railway Board for which he allegedly contacted Goyal, a close associate of Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla. Goyal had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore for it.
Kumar was in the meantime elevated from GM (West) to Member (Staff) in Railway Board, a post in which he was not apparently very interested. Kumar allegedly asked Goyal to help him retain the additional charge of GM (West) for which he demanded an additional Rs two crore as immediate payment.
The agency alleged a part payment of Rs 90 lakh was made to Singla, after which it carried out searches at their premises and recovered the alleged bribe amount. CBI has so far arrested eight persons in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister