CBI scanning property docs of Railway Board member
New Delhi: CBI is analysing property documents of arrested Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, who is facing allegations of paying bribe to nephew of then Railway Minister PK Bansal to get posting of choice, to find out if he has amassed wealth beyond known sources of income.
Sources said the agency has recovered some documents during searches at his official residence in Mumbai while some were found from a different location where they were hidden by a Railway Protection Force inspector.
They said agency is trying to find out whether a case of disproportionate assets can also be slapped against Kumar who is already facing allegations of corruption.
Sources said CBI has recovered valuables worth over Rs four crore which included jewellery and some property documents which might be used to build a DA case against the officer if satisfactory explanation is not given by him.
The officer is in judicial custody along with Bansal`s nephew, Vijay Singla and other middlemen who were also nabbed in connection with the bribery scandal, they said.
The case relates to reported aspirations of Kumar for his elevation as Member (Electrical) in the Railway Board for which he allegedly contacted Goyal, a close associate of Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla. Goyal had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore for it.
Kumar was in the meantime elevated from GM (West) to Member (Staff) in Railway Board, a post in which he was not apparently very interested. Kumar allegedly asked Goyal to help him retain the additional charge of GM (West) for which he demanded an additional Rs two crore as immediate payment.
The agency alleged a part payment of Rs 90 lakh was made to Singla, after which it carried out searches at their premises and recovered the alleged bribe amount. CBI has so far arrested eight persons in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi