CBI searches Talwars` residence; Nupur missing
Ghaziabad: Armed with a non-bailable warrant issued by a special CBI court to arrest Nupur Talwar, CBI team on Wednesday evening carried out searches at the residence of Talwars.
The searches were carried out by a team of CBI officials wearing blue jackets with bold CBI labels. However, they didn’t find Nupur Talwar there as she was absconding.
Nupur is a co-accused in the 2008 double murder of her daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
Earlier in the day a special CBI court here issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar. The warrant was issued after Nupur failed to appear before the court which resumed its hearing in the case today.
Her husband Rajesh Talwar, also an accused in the case, was present in the court today. He is currently out on bail.
The court ordered Nupur to be present before it on April 18 when the matter will be heard next.
During the last hearing, the CBI had argued that the dentist couple had destroyed evidence and they can be given bail by the Sessions Court only, not by the Magistrate Court which is currently hearing the matter.
Talwars’ counsel had today asked the court to exempt Nupur from personal appearance as her review plea was pending before the Supreme Court.
The Talwar couple had filed the review plea after the Supreme Court allowed their prosecution in the 2008 double murder of their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
Also earlier this week, the Allahabad High Court had suspended its last month order asking the special CBI court to "expeditiously" decide any bail application moved by Nupur.
The court passed the order on a recall application filed by the CBI which alleged that Nupur had secured the order in her favour by submitting "false information".
On March 13, the court had asked Nupur to appear before the CBI court within 30 days and asked the trial court to "expeditiously" decide any bail application filed by her.
Nupur and her husband Rajesh Talwar are facing trial in the four-year-old murder case.
The body of Aarushi was found with her throat slit at their Noida residence in May 2008. The body of their domestic help Hemraj was recovered from the terrace of the house hours later.
Investigation in the case was handed over to the CBI following public outrage over shoddy probe by the Uttar Pradesh police.
The CBI submitted its closure report last year in which it did not name the Talwar couple as an accused.
However, the special court at Ghaziabad decided to go ahead with the trial holding that there was enough evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick