CBI searches Talwars` residence; Nupur missing
Ghaziabad: Armed with a non-bailable warrant issued by a special CBI court to arrest Nupur Talwar, CBI team on Wednesday evening carried out searches at the residence of Talwars.
The searches were carried out by a team of CBI officials wearing blue jackets with bold CBI labels. However, they didn’t find Nupur Talwar there as she was absconding.
Nupur is a co-accused in the 2008 double murder of her daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
Earlier in the day a special CBI court here issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar. The warrant was issued after Nupur failed to appear before the court which resumed its hearing in the case today.
Her husband Rajesh Talwar, also an accused in the case, was present in the court today. He is currently out on bail.
The court ordered Nupur to be present before it on April 18 when the matter will be heard next.
During the last hearing, the CBI had argued that the dentist couple had destroyed evidence and they can be given bail by the Sessions Court only, not by the Magistrate Court which is currently hearing the matter.
Talwars’ counsel had today asked the court to exempt Nupur from personal appearance as her review plea was pending before the Supreme Court.
The Talwar couple had filed the review plea after the Supreme Court allowed their prosecution in the 2008 double murder of their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
Also earlier this week, the Allahabad High Court had suspended its last month order asking the special CBI court to "expeditiously" decide any bail application moved by Nupur.
The court passed the order on a recall application filed by the CBI which alleged that Nupur had secured the order in her favour by submitting "false information".
On March 13, the court had asked Nupur to appear before the CBI court within 30 days and asked the trial court to "expeditiously" decide any bail application filed by her.
Nupur and her husband Rajesh Talwar are facing trial in the four-year-old murder case.
The body of Aarushi was found with her throat slit at their Noida residence in May 2008. The body of their domestic help Hemraj was recovered from the terrace of the house hours later.
Investigation in the case was handed over to the CBI following public outrage over shoddy probe by the Uttar Pradesh police.
The CBI submitted its closure report last year in which it did not name the Talwar couple as an accused.
However, the special court at Ghaziabad decided to go ahead with the trial holding that there was enough evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy