CBI seeks files from MHA on Ishrat Jahan affidavit
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has sought from the Home Ministry the files on the basis of which it changed its stance on the antecedents of Ishrat Jahan who was killed in an alleged fake encounter along with three others nine years ago.
The then Under Secretary Home Ministry, R V S Mani gave two affidavits before the Gujarat High Court within a period of nearly two months giving contradicting opinions on the antecedents of Ishrat, sources said.
In the affidavit filed on August 6, 2009, Ishrat and three others were termed as terrorists while in the affidavit filed on September 30, 2009, it claimed that there was no conclusive evidence to suggest she was a terrorist.
CBI had questioned Mani in this regard but did not get satisfactory replies. The agency has now asked for the files related to input which had become the basis for change in the position so that it gets a clear picture of why the officer had to change his opinion in such a short period.
The agency has filed its first charge sheet in connection with the fake encounter and is likely to file another in the next six weeks which is likely to carry the conspiracy behind the killing of 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh, Zishan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana allegedly by a team of Gujarat Crime Branch officials.
Sources said role of the then Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau Joint Director Rajinder Kumar is also likely to be given in details and he could also be named as an accused in the case.
They said the files related to the said affidavit become important as they could reveal the role of people who might have been interested in portraying Ishrat as terrorist. The agency in its charge sheet has not given antecedents of any of the four killed but might give in the next charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31