CBI seeks files from MHA on Ishrat Jahan affidavit
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has sought from the Home Ministry the files on the basis of which it changed its stance on the antecedents of Ishrat Jahan who was killed in an alleged fake encounter along with three others nine years ago.
The then Under Secretary Home Ministry, R V S Mani gave two affidavits before the Gujarat High Court within a period of nearly two months giving contradicting opinions on the antecedents of Ishrat, sources said.
In the affidavit filed on August 6, 2009, Ishrat and three others were termed as terrorists while in the affidavit filed on September 30, 2009, it claimed that there was no conclusive evidence to suggest she was a terrorist.
CBI had questioned Mani in this regard but did not get satisfactory replies. The agency has now asked for the files related to input which had become the basis for change in the position so that it gets a clear picture of why the officer had to change his opinion in such a short period.
The agency has filed its first charge sheet in connection with the fake encounter and is likely to file another in the next six weeks which is likely to carry the conspiracy behind the killing of 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh, Zishan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana allegedly by a team of Gujarat Crime Branch officials.
Sources said role of the then Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau Joint Director Rajinder Kumar is also likely to be given in details and he could also be named as an accused in the case.
They said the files related to the said affidavit become important as they could reveal the role of people who might have been interested in portraying Ishrat as terrorist. The agency in its charge sheet has not given antecedents of any of the four killed but might give in the next charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India