CBI seeks SC nod to probe Amit Shah`s role in Prajapati killing
New Delhi: The CBI has sought the Supreme
Court`s nod to probe former Gujarat home minister Amit Shah`s
role in the killing of Tulsiram Prajapati, an eyewitness in
the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
In its final probe report on Sohrabuddin case, submitted
to the court recently, the CBI had expressed suspicion that
Shah, a close aide of Chief Minister Narender Modi, could be
involved in Prajapati`s killing.
Sohrabuddin, an alleged gangster, was killed in November
2005 by Gujarat Police which had claimed that he had been
plotting assassination of Modi and other political leaders.
The policemen are alleged to have subsequently killed his
wife Kauser Bi and accomplice Tulsiram Prajapati as they were
said to have been eyewitnesses to the killing.
The agency has expressed the suspicion about Shah`s
involvement in eliminating Prajapati on December 28, 2006
following an analysis of ex-minister`s telephone call records
between December 20 and 31, 2006.
"The analysis of the mobile call details reveal that as
many as 16 calls had been exchanged between Shah and Raj Kumar
Pandian (a police officer arrested for Sohrabuddin`s killing)
just before and after the encounter of Tulsiram Prajapati (on
December 28, 2006)," said the CBI in its probe report to the
The agency maintained that the frequency of the calls are
"unnatural, uncommon and not part of the official duty of
Shah as a state minister".
Further, "as per the protocol, a minister talks to the
home secretary and not to a Superintendent of Police level
officer," said the CBI.
"In order to prevent the abuse of the process of law and
to come to the core of the most heinous of crimes, prima facie
committed by the high level officials of Gujarat, the
investigation of the Tulsiram Prajapati encounter case also
needs to be transferred to the CBI," the agency said.
"If the case is not transferred, the actual perpetrators
of the conspiracy behind the cold-blooded murders may go scot
free," it said.
Underlining the motive behind Prajapati`s killing, the
CBI said in the report, "The evidence required so far shows
that Prajapati encounter took place as he was the prime
witness to the Sohrabuddin`s abduction.
"Accordingly, it is eminently required in the interest
of justice that Prajapati fake encounter case be investigated
and tried along with Sohrabuddin fake encounter case," it said.
"As such both these cold-blooded murders are inter-
connected, they ought not to be tried separately as it may
give rise to conflicting findings and end up derailing and
frustrating the interest of justice," the CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow