CBI set to close disproportionate assets case against Mulayam Singh Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a big relief for Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is reported to have decided to close the disproportionate assets case against him.
Sources said the CBI has not been able to gather conclusive evidence against the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister and will therefore end its probe soon.
The investigation agency is expected to file a closure report in the court on or before Monday, sources said, adding that during re-investigations, Yadav`s chartered accountants managed to explain every asset which was under the scrutiny of the agency.
CBI sources further stated that the SP chief produced enough evidence showing that the assets grew during 1993-2005 because of loans from relatives which were later claimed to be the gifts.
A CBI probe was ordered by the Supreme Court on March 1, 2007 into the alleged accumulation of disproportionate assets by the Yadav family, on a PIL by advocate Vishwanath Chaturvedi.
The agency filed a status report in 2007 alleging that the Yadavs owned had an income of Rs 6.23 crore while expenditure was Rs 4.45 crore but they managed to acquire assets worth Rs 4.41 crore and hence Rs 2.63 crore worth of assets were disproportionate to their declared sources of income.
The sources said of the Rs 2.63 crore of alleged disproportionate assets which were inquired by the agency between 1993-2005, nearly Rs 1.4 crore are in the name of Akhilesh Yadav`s wife Dimple which had weakened the case.
Last December, the Supreme Court had directed the CBI to go ahead with the probe against Mulayam and his sons Akhilesh and Prateek but dropped the probe against Dimple saying that she was not holding any public office and was only a private person.
Exclusion of Dimple changed course of investigation as allegedly unexplainable assets were in her name, the sources said, adding that the ruling weakened the case.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what