`CBI should move SC against Pappu Yadav`s acquittal`
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Friday demanded that CBI should "swiftly and effectively" move the Supreme Court against the Patna High Court order acquitting former RJD MP Pappu Yadav in a murder case.
Yadav was accused of murdering CPI(M) MLC and trade union leader Ajit Sarkar in 1998.
"It is a regrettable decision, CBI must swiftly and effectively move the Supreme Court and appeal against it," CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said.
The Patna High Court today acquitted jailed former RJD MP Pappu Yadav in the murder case.
The High Court set aside the conviction and life imprisonment awarded to the controversial leader by a lower court in 2008.
A division bench comprising justices V N Singh and K K Lal acquitted Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav and two other accused - Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav - of all charges in connection with the 1998 killing of Sarkar for want of evidence.
The court also directed the authorities to release Yadav from jail forthwith if he was not wanted in any other case.
Sarkar, a former CPI(M) legislator, was shot dead by unidentified persons in Bihar`s Purnia district on June 14, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!