CBI should probe link between Aircel and LTTE: Swamy to SC
New Delhi: Janata Party Chief Subramanian
Swamy, who is pursuing the 2G spectrum scam, on Tuesday asked the
Supreme Court to direct CBI to expand the ambit of its probe
to cover the alleged link between terror outfit LTTE and
telecom company Aircel.
However, a Bench comprising justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly asked him to file a proper application so that CBI
could look into it.
He also raised the question why CBI was registering
the charge of forgery against former Telecom Minister A Raja
under the lenient provision of section 468 instead of
stringent section 467 of the Indian Penal Code.
He said it should be ensured that CBI registers the
charge of forgery under section 467 which attracts maximum
punishment of life imprisonment instead of lenient penal
provision under section 468 in which the maximum sentence is
seven years jail term.
While section 467 deals with forgery of documents
dealing with valuable security, section 468 covers forgery of
documents for cheating.
Swamy in his application before the trial court has
sought a direction for CBI to probe the scam from national
The application had said Swan Telecom and Unitech
Wireless, which were allotted licences, had sold their major
shares to two foreign firms Etisalat and Telenor, which is "a
major threat" to national security.
"The first two licensees, Swan Telecom and Unitech
Wireless, soon after the allocation of spectrum to them, sold
their controlling shares respectively to Etisalat DB and
Telenor. The national security risk from these companies are
highlighted by the Union Home Ministry as their connections go
right into Pakistan," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!