CBI should quiz Bansal, probe investments by his family: BJP
Chandigarh: Intensifying attack on Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal over bribery charge against his nephew, BJP on Sunday demanded that the Congress leader be quizzed by CBI to "unravel the conspiracy" in the case and a probe launched into alleged investments by him and his family.
"Bansal must be interrogated by the CBI...Even the CBI in its application before the court has expressed its desire to unravel the conspiracy by interrogating all beneficiaries of the bribed money," BJP`s legal cell head and national executive member Satyapal Jain told reporters here.
Tension prevailed outside the residence of Bansal here as Chandigarh police today used lathicharge to disperse protesting ABVP activists and rounded two of them.
The ABVP activists were marching towards the residence of Bansal when police used mild force to disperse them, officials said. Police and GRP personnel have deployed in strength around the Minister`s residence in the city.
Releasing documents which purportedly showed relatives of Bansal as "directors" or "share holders" in companies, Jain alleged that the Minister "appears to be one of the actors in the entire episode."
"If Bansal is not guilty conscious he should have immediately ordered a probe as the matter concerns his railway ministry," he said.
Jain, a two time MP from the city, also questioned Bansal`s "silence" over the scandal concerning his ministry.
BJP alleged that Bansal`s relatives were given contract of potable water supply in railways by the minister and demanded all property deals by him and his relatives must be investigated.
He warned that if Bansal tried to "hush up" the matter, BJP would move the court.
"Bansal must be dismissed from the ministry forthwith," he said adding that the BJP would take up the case of bribery to its logical conclusion.
Jain claimed that in the list of directors of firms the relatives of Bansal had at several places given the address of his private residence in Sector 28 in the city.
Bansal`s nephew Singla was arrested by CBI on Friday on charge of accepting bribe to fix plum position in the Railway Board. The Minister in the Congress Core Group meeting had explained his position claiming that he had no business links with his nephew nor did he get influenced by him in decision-making.
Bansal had already distanced himself from his nephew Vijay Singla, who was arrested by CBI on Friday night for allegedly accepting Rs 90 lakhs for fixing a better position for Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar.
In a statement, 64-year-old Bansal, who was made Railway Minister in October last year, had claimed he has always observed the highest standards of probity in public life and that nobody can influence his decisions.
He had also sought an expeditious CBI inquiry into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Urjit Patel as new RBI head to ensure continuity: Mundra
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic