CBI starts DA case probe against tainted Excise Commissioner
New Delhi: The CBI has started its probe into alleged disproportionate assets of suspended Excise Commissioner Anup Kumar Srivastava, arrested by it for allegedly taking bribe for shielding two businessmen in a tax evasion case.
The agency started a preliminary enquiry this week after material evidence indicated he had amassed property and valuables which did not match his income, CBI sources claimed.
The sources also said an explanation would be sought from Srivastava, who is now on bail in the alleged graft case registered by the CBI in January.
The CBI had also booked middleman Hemant Gandhi, Central Excise Superintendent Lallan Ojha and businessmen Dalip Aggarwal and Anand Aggarwal in connection with the case.
The agency had filed its charge sheet in the case on February 29, indicting Srivastava, Ojha and Gandhi, besides the Aggarwals.
The CBI had alleged Gandhi was in touch with Srivastava, Ojha and others and was acting as a middleman for them to obtain the bribe from the businessmen.
"It was alleged that a managed farce search of the importer`s office was conducted by the Central Excise team headed by the aforesaid Superintendent on the instructions of the Commissioner. No records were created before, during or after the searches. Initially, an illegal gratification of Rs 2 crore was allegedly demanded, which was finally settled for Rs 60 lakh," a CBI spokesperson had alleged.
The spokesperson had said the middleman collected illegal gratification of Rs 20 lakh as well as a "self" cheque of Rs 20 lakh from the importer for not taking any action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi