CBI starts DA case probe against tainted Excise Commissioner
New Delhi: The CBI has started its probe into alleged disproportionate assets of suspended Excise Commissioner Anup Kumar Srivastava, arrested by it for allegedly taking bribe for shielding two businessmen in a tax evasion case.
The agency started a preliminary enquiry this week after material evidence indicated he had amassed property and valuables which did not match his income, CBI sources claimed.
The sources also said an explanation would be sought from Srivastava, who is now on bail in the alleged graft case registered by the CBI in January.
The CBI had also booked middleman Hemant Gandhi, Central Excise Superintendent Lallan Ojha and businessmen Dalip Aggarwal and Anand Aggarwal in connection with the case.
The agency had filed its charge sheet in the case on February 29, indicting Srivastava, Ojha and Gandhi, besides the Aggarwals.
The CBI had alleged Gandhi was in touch with Srivastava, Ojha and others and was acting as a middleman for them to obtain the bribe from the businessmen.
"It was alleged that a managed farce search of the importer`s office was conducted by the Central Excise team headed by the aforesaid Superintendent on the instructions of the Commissioner. No records were created before, during or after the searches. Initially, an illegal gratification of Rs 2 crore was allegedly demanded, which was finally settled for Rs 60 lakh," a CBI spokesperson had alleged.
The spokesperson had said the middleman collected illegal gratification of Rs 20 lakh as well as a "self" cheque of Rs 20 lakh from the importer for not taking any action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!