CBI team arrives in Gujarat to probe Sohrabuddin encounter
Gandhinagar: A team from the CBI Mumbai,
which has registered a case against Gujarat police officials
in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Sohrabuddin
Sheikh and disappearance of his wife Kausarbi in 2005, today
arrived here for conducting investigation into the case.
"We had registered an FIR in the fake encounter case on
February 1 at the special crime branch of CBI in Mumbai," Head
of the CBI Mumbai (Zone II) P Kandaswamy, who is here with
the team, said.
"We are here following the process of law for further
action," he said, declining to comment further on the case.
The CBI took up the case on directions of the Supreme
Court which came down heavily on the Gujarat Government for
failing to conduct impartial investigations and attempting to
"mislead" the apex court by filing conflicting action taken
It registered a case on Monday against Gujarat police
officials and others under various sections of IPC including
criminal conspiracy, murder and kidnapping.
According to sources, the team that has arrived here
would take over the case property from the Gujarat CID which
had filed a chargesheet against 14 police officials including
suspended DIG D G Vanzara and IPS officers -- Rajkumar Pandyan
and Dinesh M N. Sheikh was allegedly killed by the Gujarat cops with the
help of Andhra Pradesh police claiming that he was planning to
kill Chief Minister Modi in November 2005.
The apex court asked the CBI to probe if there was any
"larger conspiracy" to the killings and submit the report
within six months for its perusal.
It had said that it would be appropriate to order a CBI
inquiry to instil confidence among the relatives of the
deceased and the people as those involved in the crime are
high-ranking police officials.
Suspended DIG Vanjara and Pandiyan (both Gujarat cadre
IPS officers) besides Dinesh M N (Rajasthan cadre IPS officer)
are the main accused in the case of killing of alleged
gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
The court had also lamented that the Gujarat Government
deliberately attempted to mislead the court on the whereabouts
of Sohrabuddin`s wife Kauserbi and their family friend
Tulsiram Prajapati who are also alleged to have been killed by
police to destroy evidence.
Meanwhile, CBI sources in Gandhinagar said CBI has
written to the state government to provide office to the
CBI team, which would carry out investigation in the
Sohrabuddin fake encounter case.
"We will need one office either in Gandhinagar or
Ahmedabad and for that we have written to the state government
to provide the same," a CBI official said.
Gujarat police have given all the documents regarding
the case to the agency following the Supreme Court order but
most of the documents are in Gujarati, which will have to be
first translated into English.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'