CBI to carry out re-inspection of 15 coal mine blocks
New Delhi: CBI is likely to "re-inspect" over 15 captive coal mine blocks in Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand as part of its probe into alleged irregularities in allocation and use of these coal blocks by allottee private companies.
CBI sources said agency has carried out field inspection of over 50 coal blocks as part of its probe and felt the need to re-inspect the process in nearly 15 such blocks allocated to private companies and public sector undertakings.
Refusing to give details of these blocks, as it may affect the inspection process, the agency said some discrepancies have been discovered.
The agency has already questioned senior bureaucrats who were overseeing allocation of coal blocks during 2006-09, CBI sources said.
Meanwhile, the agency is also taking into cognisance the Comptroller and Auditor General report on alleged coal block allocation which was tabled in Parliament earlier this month.
The sources, however, made it clear that CBI would not be going into policy issues but will limit its role to aspects where criminality could be established.
The agency has also questioned members of screening committee including Secretaries and Joint Secretary in the Ministry, CBI sources said.
They said the questioning of the Coal Secretaries, who also chair the screening committee, was done to understand the issues involved in the allocation of coal blocks during the period and so far the agency has not found any irregularity on their part.
The agency has registered the Preliminary Enquiry (PE) , which is the first step of initiating the CBI probe, against unknown persons in connection with a complaint referred to it by the Central Vigilance Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth