CBI to celebrate its Golden Jubilee amidst criticism of misuse
New Delhi: Amidst a heated political discourse on alleged misuse of CBI by parties in power, the country`s premier probe agency would celebrate 50 years of its founding at a function here on Saturday.
President Pranab Mukherjee will unveil the Golden Jubilee logo and deliver the 14th DP Kohli Memorial Lecture on `Good Governance: Empowering Institutions, Society and Public`.
Samajwadi Party President Mulayam Singh Yadav recently raked up the issue of CBI allegedly being used by the ruling party against the opposition. "It`s not easy to fight with the government. It has thousands of hands and can use CBI and put one in jail)," he had said.
The allegations of misuse of CBI were strongly refuted by Minister of Personnel V Narayanasamy.
"This has been a political issue raised by various political parties. In our government, we have never, never misused our authority or position for the purpose of arm twisting any of our alliances. The CBI has been functioning independently," he said.
Several former Directors who have headed the agency--whose motto is "excellence, commitment and distinguished service"-- during the last 50 years would be felicitated by the President on the occasion.
The annual DP Kohli Memorial lecture is organised in honour of CBI`s founder Director who headed the agency from 1963-68. He was also the head of Special Police Establishment, forerunner of CBI, from 1955-963.
President Mukherjee would also present Police Medals for Distinguished Services to CBI officers and the DP Kohli Award for the Best Detective Constable of the agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch