CBI to focus on human trafficking and economic offences: Kumar
Chennai: After focusing on corruption cases
for long, CBI today said it was redefining its role, giving
importance to issues like human trafficking and economic
"This year we are going to make a concerted effort to
focus our attention to redefine our role in areas of
inter-state and international economic crimes," CBI Director
Ashwini Kumar said here.
CBI had decided to focus on the areas which are directly
relevant to public at large, he said after inaugurating a
workshop sponsored by the agency for media professionals.
Saying that CBI has identified areas of crimes which
impact the common people, he said issues like sale of spurious
drugs and substandard medicines, adulteration of food and
corruption in health and education sectors will be key areas.
"Another key area of our work will be to launch a
campaign against human trafficking of women and children.
These crimes have been our responsibility since long but we
gave more attention to corruption," he said.
The agency was into innovation as a continuous process in
areas of DNA finger-printing techniques, voice recognition,
algorithms for fast database research, he said adding "we are
also upgrading our skills through constant training."
He said while the agency was quick with investigation of
cases, "our weakness is prosecution and court trial" as it
sometimes stretched for years.
However, realising the need for more CBI courts and
reducing pendency, the Centre has taken up matter of setting
up of 71 exclusive courts across the country with the Prime
Minister taking up the matter with Chief Ministers, the CBI
He also said CBI`s workforce was around 5,000 personnel
only, adding, they may be over burdened with increasing
dependency on the agency, resulting in quality going down.
Kumar said the agency would request the government to
increase its strength if the present trend continued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch