CBI to inform SC that Chief Investigator in Coal Scam arrested
New Delhi: CBI will tell the Supreme Court on Tuesday about the arrest of its Superintendent of Police Vivek Dutt who was the Chief Investigator of the coalgate scam.
The apex court had in its last hearing on coalgate scam said no officer will be taken off of the case without informing the bench hearing the scam case.
Dutt was arrested by CBI sleuths along with an Inspector Rajesh for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs seven lakh from a person to settle his land dispute.
The duo, who were being closely monitored by the internal vigilance cell of the agency, have been suspended after their arrest on May 17 outside the CBI headquarters here.
The businessman, who gave the bribe, and another person party to the land dispute, were also arrested.
CBI got a tip-off that Dutt, who was posted in its Economic Offences Wing, had allegedly struck a deal to settle a land dispute in return for illegal gratification.
CBI alleged Dutt had allegedly used his influence with Delhi Police officials to withdraw a petition relating to land dispute case, which had benefitted the businessman.
Dutt, however, had claimed he was being victimised for his fair probe in the coal scam.
CBI maintained the bribery case had nothing to do with the ongoing coal blocks allocation scam probe in which Dutt was the Chief Investigator.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city