CBI to investigate Rs 16 cr fraud in Railways
New Delhi: CBI will look into alleged
financial irregularities to the tune of Rs 16 crore by certain
railway officials in connivance with private persons in
purchase of goods for the PSU.
The alleged fraud at Kharagpur Workshop under the South
Easter Railway Division was first detected by the Central
Vigilance Commission which, after carrying out preliminary
checks, decided to refer the case to CBI to unearth criminal
conspiracy and corruption.
"The irregularities involve purchase of items related to
repairing of railways coaches and locomotives. We have already
recommended major penalty against four officials for their
involvements in the wrongdoings besides transferring the case
to CBI," a CVC official said.
According to the official, the accused were making proxy
bills while purchasing items from private vendors.
He did not give details about the accused and their modus
operandi but claimed that certain senior railway officials
were involved in the scam.
The Railways workshop at Kharagpur, established in 1898,
carries out periodic overhaul of all varieties of diesel
locomotives, electric locomotives, coaches, wagons, Electric
Multiple Units (EMUs), and steam and diesel cranes.
CVC officials said that a detailed report has been sought
from the Railways in this matter.
When contacted, a CBI official said, "The documents are
being examined and a probe is underway". However, he said that
the CBI has not yet registered a case in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, KKR vs SRH: Colin Munro's run-out was the turning point of the match, says Gautam Gambhir
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, Class X Results 2016 (cbse.nic.in) to be declared on May 30 not today on May 27 or May 28
- Whoa! Kareena Kapoor Khan gets bigger role in Sonam Kapoor's 'Veera Di Shaadi'?
- Faux pas: Ghaziabad cops verify Rahul Gandhi as a driver residing in Indirapuram