CBI to issue fresh notice to Buta: Sources
New Delhi: The CBI will issue fresh notice
to National Commission for Scheduled Caste Chairman Buta Singh
for recording his statement in connection with the Rs one
crore bribery scandal allegedly involving his son Sarabjot
Sources in CBI have said that action has been initiated
after Singh refused to appear for questioning on earlier
summons citing his constitutional position and raising legal
When contacted, CBI spokesperson refused to comment on
the fresh notice but said, "under section 160 of CrPC, a
summons was issued to Buta Singh. He was summoned as a witness
and not as an accused. He has raised some legal queries which
are being examined by our legal department."
Singh was asked to appear before the CBI for questioning
on or before August 24 but refused to appear before the agency
saying that CBI did not have a "mandate of law" for
questioning him as he was holding a constitutional position.
"Incidentally, this act of summoning constitutional
authorities without following the mandate of law has been
given undue publicity in media also by the concerned CBI
officials and the same is not only derogatory but reflects the
arrogance on part of CBI officials," he said in a letter to
CBI Director, Ashwani Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...