CBI to issue fresh notice to Buta: Sources
New Delhi: The CBI will issue fresh notice
to National Commission for Scheduled Caste Chairman Buta Singh
for recording his statement in connection with the Rs one
crore bribery scandal allegedly involving his son Sarabjot
Sources in CBI have said that action has been initiated
after Singh refused to appear for questioning on earlier
summons citing his constitutional position and raising legal
When contacted, CBI spokesperson refused to comment on
the fresh notice but said, "under section 160 of CrPC, a
summons was issued to Buta Singh. He was summoned as a witness
and not as an accused. He has raised some legal queries which
are being examined by our legal department."
Singh was asked to appear before the CBI for questioning
on or before August 24 but refused to appear before the agency
saying that CBI did not have a "mandate of law" for
questioning him as he was holding a constitutional position.
"Incidentally, this act of summoning constitutional
authorities without following the mandate of law has been
given undue publicity in media also by the concerned CBI
officials and the same is not only derogatory but reflects the
arrogance on part of CBI officials," he said in a letter to
CBI Director, Ashwani Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway