CBI to meet Gen VK Singh over bribery claims
New Delhi: A team of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is expected to meet Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Friday seeking clarification over his claims that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by an equipment lobbyist to clear a defence deal.
According to reports, the CBI had sought an appointment with the Army Chief yesterday but he could not be contacted since he was not in the capital.
The CBI officials are expected to ask the Army Chief why no action was taken against the alleged equipment lobbyist, who approached him to clear a defence deal of 600 sub-standard vehicles.
In an interview to a leading English daily, Gen Singh recently claimed that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by an equipment lobbyist.
Defence Minister AK Antony was apprised of the matter, the Army Chief added.
Gen Singh described the state of affairs in the Army as “shocking”, saying the same led to conditions wherein an attempt was made to bribe the Army Chief.
The lobbyist, who was later identified to be Lt Gen Tejinder Singh, retired from the Army recently.
According to the Army Chief, Tejinder Singh was ready to bribe the Army Chief if he approved the acquisition of 600 sub-standard vehicles of a particular make.
According to the General, the Army had already acquired 7,000 such vehicles over the years at exorbitant prices. While the vehicles were sold to the Army, the manufacturer created no proper facility for the servicing and maintenance of the vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried