CBI to question Army officers in light utility chopper deal
New Delhi: CBI will soon examine army officers who were part of the selection process for the 197 light utility helicopter deal which came under scanner of Italian authorities during their probe into bribery allegations against AgustaWestland in VVIP helicopter agreement.
It was alleged that a Brigadier of the army who was heading the flight trials in 2010 had demanded USD five million from AgustaWestland to help swing lucrative deal in favour of the company.
The name of the officers surfaced during the probe carried out by Italian authorities in connection with the bribery allegations against AgustaWestland and Finmeccanica in the VVIP helicopter deal.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry in the deal and asked at least five army officers, who were part of the selection process for the deal, to appear before it and help in its probe, CBI sources said.
They said although the officer has not been questioned yet in connection with the case, the agency has asked at least five army officers to appear for examination in the case so that enquiry could be completed soon and decision on registering an FIR could be taken.
During their probe, Italian authorities had come across documents which revealed that the army officer was seeking USD five million to swing the lucrative 197-light helicopter deal in the company`s favour.
The authorities had found a letter which also formed part of their investigation report submitted in the Italian court. It claimed that the officer allegedly made contact with the company in Bangalore in January 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof