CBI to question Army officers in light utility chopper deal
New Delhi: CBI will soon examine army officers who were part of the selection process for the 197 light utility helicopter deal which came under scanner of Italian authorities during their probe into bribery allegations against AgustaWestland in VVIP helicopter agreement.
It was alleged that a Brigadier of the army who was heading the flight trials in 2010 had demanded USD five million from AgustaWestland to help swing lucrative deal in favour of the company.
The name of the officers surfaced during the probe carried out by Italian authorities in connection with the bribery allegations against AgustaWestland and Finmeccanica in the VVIP helicopter deal.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry in the deal and asked at least five army officers, who were part of the selection process for the deal, to appear before it and help in its probe, CBI sources said.
They said although the officer has not been questioned yet in connection with the case, the agency has asked at least five army officers to appear for examination in the case so that enquiry could be completed soon and decision on registering an FIR could be taken.
During their probe, Italian authorities had come across documents which revealed that the army officer was seeking USD five million to swing the lucrative 197-light helicopter deal in the company`s favour.
The authorities had found a letter which also formed part of their investigation report submitted in the Italian court. It claimed that the officer allegedly made contact with the company in Bangalore in January 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM