CBI to send teams to Mauritius, Cyprus on 2G scam money trail
New Delhi: The CBI probing the 2G spectrum
scam has now shifted its focus to tax haven countries as it
tries to connect the dots in the alleged Rs 202-crore payment
made by Cineyug to Kalignar TV in which family members of
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Karunanidhi have a majority stake.
The CBI is planning to send its teams to Mauritius
and Cyprus to follow the money trail in the payments made to
Kalaignar TV as the agency runs against time to put together
the supplementary charge sheet which is to be filed by April
25, a top CBI official said.
The supplementary charge sheet is likely to name
Kalaignar TV Managing Director Sharad Kumar and may describe
the role of DMK MP and Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi in the
scam, the official said.
The CBI officials are also focusing on two major
telecom firms -- Loop, which may figure in the next charge
sheet to be filed by the agency, and Reliance Telecom, which
has already been named as an accused in the first charge sheet
filed by it on April 2-- in the broader conspiracy in the
The agency is hoping that it will get a detailed
picture of transactions routed through these two countries,
In its charge sheet, the CBI has named one of the
executives of Reliance Telecom, Gautam Doshi, as an accused
and alleged that he was involved in "structuring and funding"
Swan Telecom and Tiger Traders (the associate company of
Reliance ADAG, which has equity in Swan) and other companies.
The agency has alleged that decisions regarding
transfer of funds to Tiger Traders/ Swan Telecom were taken by
It is also alleged that Swan was being controlled by
another group through a company Delphi Investments in
The agency has also, through Letters Rogatory to
Mauritius, sought details of stakeholders and beneficiaries in
The CBI is probing whether Delphi Investments to which
Reliance Telecommunication had sold its 9.9 per cent stake in
Swan Telecom was a front for the conglomerate, official
On corporate lobbyist Niira Radia, a top CBI official
said she was made a witness in the case because in her
statement she said that she was introduced to Raja when she
wanted reinstatement of two sacked employees of Telecom
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal