CBSE Bill likely to be tabled in upcoming session
New Delhi: A bill seeking to make CBSE a statutory body is expected to be tabled in Monsoon Session of Parliament even as HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has started meeting Opposition leaders over other pending legislations related to reforms in higher education.
The passage of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) Bill will give the Board more administrative and financial autonomy and widen its functioning.
The statutory status will enable CBSE to take its own decisions through its board of governors. Besides, its orders will have stringent implications after it becomes a statutory body, officials said.
At present, CBSE is a registered as a society, conducting board exams in its affiliated schools. It functions directly under the HRD Ministry and takes decision in consultation with the ministry on all important issues.
The move to introduce the Bill comes even as Sibal faces a big challenge for passage of over eight key legislations on higher education which are pending in Parliament.
Sources said he has already met senior BJP leaders like Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj as well as Arun Jaitley recently.
Some of the key bills including the Educational Tribunals Bill, the Higher Education and Research Bill, the Prohibition of Unfair Practices in Technical Educational Institutions, Medical Educational Institutions and Universities Bill, the Foreign Education Bill, the National Accreditation Regulatory Authority Bill are among those to be passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!