CBSE to offer legal studies as elective for Class XI and XII
New Delhi: Central Board of Secondary Education has decided to offer legal studies as an elective subject from the coming academic session for students of class XI and XII.
The Board has written a letter in this regard to schools asking them to submit their expression of interest, officials said.
According to the letter, the subject is being offered as a pilot course on first-come-first-serve basis to around 20 schools in class XI from the academic session 2013-2014.
"It can be offered as an elective subject with any combination of three other electives and a language," the letter said.
The aim is to provide exposure on various systems of law such as common law, civil law, Hindu law, Islamic law, among others, and to help students form an understanding of rights, duties and various categories of liability principles which form the bedrock for an understanding of law.
The move, which would prove a boon for legal aspirants, comes against the backdrop of UGC also deciding to introduce a one-year LLM programme in universities from academic year 2013-14.
According to CBSE, legal studies will comprise units such as historical evolution of Indian legal system, civil and criminal courts and processes, theory and nature of political institutions, nature and sources of law, family justice system, arbitration and tribunal adjudication.
It will also include human rights in India, international context and legal profession in India.
The proposal is to introduce one module in Class XI and a second module in Class XII.
CBSE hopes the subject will also help aspiring lawyers develop and understand the essential features of the Indian Constitution, including the role and importance of fundamental rights.
It will also provide exposure to structure and operation of courts, concept of precedent in judicial functioning, the process of legislation and basic principles of statutory interpretation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof