CCS approves anti-Naxal plan, Def Min studying IAF proposal
New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on Security
on Thursday approved a new plan to counter Maoists in the backdrop
of a Jharkhand police Inspector being beheaded by the Maoists,
even as the Defence Ministry said it was studying an IAF
proposal to open fire at Left-wing extremists in self-defence.
The CCS meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, here reviewed the situation and debated ways to deal
with the problem and gave the clearance to the plan, a day
after Union Home Minister P Chidambaram warned the Maoists to
"abjure" violence or face action, top government sources said.
Defence Minister A K Antony, meanwhile, told reporters on
the sidelines of an Air Force Day event in the capital that
the Ministry was still studying the IAF request to permit it
to open fire on Maoists in self-defence, if required.
"However, the Ministry doesn`t want to enhance the role
of the armed forces in the anti-naxal operations more than
what it is doing at present," Antony said.
He also clarified that the IAF proposal, made a week ago,
was still pending with the defence Ministry and that it has
not yet been put up before the CCS.
Earlier in the day, IAF Chief P V Naik said the Air Force
would deploy its Garud Special Forces Commandos on the
choppers operating in naxal-affected areas to man the guns to
be mounted on the helicopters.
He also said the IAF Commandos will not do "Rambo-style"
operations and that they would only be protecting the IAF
assets, men and women deployed in Maoists-hit areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried