CCS discusses foreign secretary talks; gives green signal
New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on Security
today decided that the Foreign Secretary-level talks would
take place as per schedule on February 25 as it discussed the
issue in the backdrop of the Pune blast.
The meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
attended by Home Minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and
Defence Minister A K Antony thoroughly deliberated on the
issue of forthcoming talks, sources said.
The hour-long meeting weighed pros and cons of going
ahead with the talks as also the agenda that should figure in
the parleys, they said.
It was decided that Saturday`s Pune blast should not
affect the schedule of the talks between the foreign
secretaries of India and Pakistan and these should take place.
However, the meeting was of the view that there would be
a rethink if any more terror attack takes place, the sources
National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon, Foreign
Secretary Nirupama Rao and Union Home Secretary G K Pillai
were also present during the CCS meeting.
Chidambaram provided an update on investigation into the
Emerging from the meeting, Chidambaram said, "I briefed
the CCS on Pune blasts."
Sources yesterday said there should be no "knee-jerk"
reaction to the bomb attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video