CCS discusses latest situation in Kashmir
New Delhi: The CCS chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh met today for the second time in five days to
review the latest situation in Kashmir valley which relatively
remained peaceful for the second straight day after being
rocked by violence.
According to official sources tonight, the Cabinet
Committee on Security(CCS) noted with satisfaction that the
fresh wave of violence that broke out last Friday had ebbed to
some extent since yesterday.
The meeting also dicussed the assessment of the latest
situation in the valley made by Jammu and Kashmir DGP Kuldeep
The CCS meeting came a day after Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram and hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani
appealed for calm to help bring the situation back to normal.
The CCS last met on August one after renewed violence
claimed 13 lives in three days.
The meeting convened by the Prime Minister discussed
threadbare the steps taken by the Jammu and Kashmir
government and its handling of the situation.
The sources said the meeting also renewed its resolve to
help the Omar Abdullah government in all possible ways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!