CCS meets, discusses deployment of Akash missile
New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on
Security (CCS) on Thursday is understood to have discussed the
induction of the indigenously-produced and developed Akash
surface to air missile defence system into the Indian Army.
The CCS is also understood to have discussed some of
the proposals of the Navy to tackle piracy in the high seas,
sources said here.
The Army is looking to place orders for two regiments
of the missile system, which has already been inducted into
the Indian Air Force (IAF).
"Request for Proposal (REP) for procurement of Akash
Weapon System for Army has been issued to a Defence Public
Sector Undertaking (DPSU) in October 2010," Defence Minister A
K Antony had recently said.
The IAF has already inducted two squadrons of the
missile system including its radar and is looking to place
orders for six more squadrons.
The Akash missile systems consist of a launcher, a
missile with a 25-30 km range, control centre, multifunction
fire control radar and supporting ground equipment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know