CCS nod to counter-terror body soon: PC
New Delhi: A nodal agency to counter terrorism
with representation from security and intelligence agencies
will get the Cabinet nod this month, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Tuesday.
"A final note on setting up the National Counter Terrorism
Centre (NCTC) is now before the Cabinet Committee on Security
and we hope a decision will be taken before the end of this
calendar year," he said during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha.
However, he said, no final decision has been taken on the
constitution and structure of the proposed NCTC.
Chidambaram replied to supplementaries amid vociferous
protests by the opposition NDA, which demanded his ouster in
connection with the 2G case.
NDA members were on their feet every time he rose to answer
questions but Speaker Meira Kumar ignored the opposition
protests and went ahead with the Question Hour.
The BJP had also given a notice to move a privilege motion
against the Home Minister for allegedly showing disrespect to
Parliament by making a statement outside the House over a
recent controversy on a court case in which Chidambaram had
appeared on behalf of a Delhi hotelier.
Chidambaram said the NATGRID has been set up to link
databases which would be an input in combating terrorism.
"It intends to create a facility that improves India`s
capability to counter internal threats," he said.
The Intelligence Bureau is responsible for collecting,
collating and disseminating intelligence having bearing on
national security and protection of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini