CCS nod to counter-terror body soon: PC
New Delhi: A nodal agency to counter terrorism
with representation from security and intelligence agencies
will get the Cabinet nod this month, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Tuesday.
"A final note on setting up the National Counter Terrorism
Centre (NCTC) is now before the Cabinet Committee on Security
and we hope a decision will be taken before the end of this
calendar year," he said during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha.
However, he said, no final decision has been taken on the
constitution and structure of the proposed NCTC.
Chidambaram replied to supplementaries amid vociferous
protests by the opposition NDA, which demanded his ouster in
connection with the 2G case.
NDA members were on their feet every time he rose to answer
questions but Speaker Meira Kumar ignored the opposition
protests and went ahead with the Question Hour.
The BJP had also given a notice to move a privilege motion
against the Home Minister for allegedly showing disrespect to
Parliament by making a statement outside the House over a
recent controversy on a court case in which Chidambaram had
appeared on behalf of a Delhi hotelier.
Chidambaram said the NATGRID has been set up to link
databases which would be an input in combating terrorism.
"It intends to create a facility that improves India`s
capability to counter internal threats," he said.
The Intelligence Bureau is responsible for collecting,
collating and disseminating intelligence having bearing on
national security and protection of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert