CCS nod to counter-terror body soon: PC
New Delhi: A nodal agency to counter terrorism
with representation from security and intelligence agencies
will get the Cabinet nod this month, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Tuesday.
"A final note on setting up the National Counter Terrorism
Centre (NCTC) is now before the Cabinet Committee on Security
and we hope a decision will be taken before the end of this
calendar year," he said during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha.
However, he said, no final decision has been taken on the
constitution and structure of the proposed NCTC.
Chidambaram replied to supplementaries amid vociferous
protests by the opposition NDA, which demanded his ouster in
connection with the 2G case.
NDA members were on their feet every time he rose to answer
questions but Speaker Meira Kumar ignored the opposition
protests and went ahead with the Question Hour.
The BJP had also given a notice to move a privilege motion
against the Home Minister for allegedly showing disrespect to
Parliament by making a statement outside the House over a
recent controversy on a court case in which Chidambaram had
appeared on behalf of a Delhi hotelier.
Chidambaram said the NATGRID has been set up to link
databases which would be an input in combating terrorism.
"It intends to create a facility that improves India`s
capability to counter internal threats," he said.
The Intelligence Bureau is responsible for collecting,
collating and disseminating intelligence having bearing on
national security and protection of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire