CCTV grab shows Tejpal entering lift with woman journo: Police
Panaji: In more trouble for Tehelka`s founder-editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting his junior colleague, the CCTV footage sourced by Goa Police from a starred hotel here has "corroborated" the facts narrated by the woman journalist, a senior officer said today.
The CCTV footage of the area outside the elevator, in which the alleged sexual assault took place, corroborates the victim`s narration, said an officer, who is part of the team investigating the footage, on the condition of anonymity.
The woman journalist had accused Tejpal of molesting her on November 7 and 8 during the ThinkFest event organised by the magazine.
The footage could add to the troubles of Tejpal who has been given 3 PM deadline by police to appear before them here. The journalist registered her statement before a magistrate here yesterday.
"It is clear in the CCTV footage, dated November 7, outside the lift in Block 7 of the hotel that something went wrong in the lift," the officer said.
"The footage initially shows Tejpal and the victim woman accompanying Hollywood actor Robert De Nero to the latter`s room. This was around 9 PM when Tejpal is seen entering the lift with his hands on the shoulders of the young journalist," the officer said.
He further said, "One-and-half hours later, around 10:30 PM, Tejpal is seen near the same elevator on the ground floor pulling the woman inside".
The officer said the lift was seen opening on the second floor almost after two minutes.
"The woman is seen coming out of the elevator adjusting her clothes and running down the steps as Tejpal follows her," the officer added.
The journalist had complained about the incident in an
email to Tehelka Managing Editor (who resigned today) Shoma Chaudhary last Monday. Taking suo motu cognisance of the matter, the Goa Police had registered a case of rape and outraging modesty of woman against Tejpal, who has since stepped aside as Tehelka editor.
Though Tejpal initially apologised for the incident to the woman, he later said it was a "drunken banter" and "consensual act". The journalist has dismissed Tejpal`s claims.
Tejpal has also accused BJP-led Goa government of political vendetta.
The Delhi High Court had yesterday posted hearing on Tejpal`s anticipatory bail petition for Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians