Ceasefire violations a matter of great concern: Khurshid
New Delhi: Terming the ceasefire violations on the LoC as a matter of serious concern, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday said it is not just an issue of diplomacy but also of military relations and maintained that the government is giving it high priority.
"This is the very thing we want to address. This is not just an issue of diplomacy. This is an issue of military relations. The actual on the ground situation is known to the military on both sides," Khurshid told reporters.
Expressing full confidence in the defence forces, the minister said, "We owe a tremendous gratitude to them, both for showing restraint, firmness, determination and for total preparedness to face any onslaught."
Two BSF jawans were yesterday injured as Pakistani troops opened fire at ten border out posts and civilian areas along the International Border in Jammu and Samba districts.
"I think this is a serious matter- a matter of great concern to India. We will handle it with the greatest sagacity and firmness to protect the safety and sovereignty of the citizens," Khurshid said.
Maintaining that this issue is one of high-priority for the government, Khurshid said a meeting of the DGMOs of both the countries should be held soon.
Pakistan High Commissioner to India Salman Bashir said both sides should take steps to stabilise the situation on the LoC. "I think this is the understanding, this is the decision of the two Prime Ministers. Pakistan is prepared to do whatever it can to exercise utmost restraint and responsibility. I hope this happens sooner than later," he said.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had requested the Government to take up this issue firmly with Pakistan.
"It is not clear who is behind this and with what motive this is being done. Some days back our Prime Minister met the Pakistani PM in New York. They talked about ceasefire violations and it was decided that the army DGMOs of both countries should talk and find a way out," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway