Ceasefire violations not conducive for Indo-Pak ties: Jaitley
New Delhi: India today said ceasefire violations by Pakistan along the LoC and International Border were "serious and provocative" and created an environment "not very conducive" for relationship between the two sides.
"Incursions (ceasefire violations) at both the Line of Control and the International Border are serious and they are provocative...These incidents are creating an environment which is not very conducive for relationship between the two countries," Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said.
The minister was asked at a press conference to comment on the recent spate of ceasefire violations along the LoC and the IB by Pakistan and the killing of a jawan in such an incident earlier today.
He said there was hope that the "situation would be better" after discussions between the Directors General of Military Operations Lt Gen PR Kumar and his Pakistani counterpart Maj Gen Sarfaraz Chaudhary.
Jaitley said both the Army and the BSF at the LoC and IB respectively are fully alert and responding effectively to every situation emerging there.
Against the backdrop of frequent ceasefire violations and Pakistani High Commissioner's meeting with separatist Kashmiri leaders, India had called off the Foreign Secretary-level talks with it scheduled for August 25.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had yesterday laid ground rules for future talks saying that "any meaningful bilateral dialogue necessarily requires an environment that is free from terrorism and violence".
There have been 24 ceasefire violations by Pakistan in August. Two villagers have been killed and 17 others, including 4 BSF jawans, suffered injuries in such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why China stalled India's NSG membership?
- DNA: Why China stalled India's NSG membership? - Part II
- DNA : World's first' White Tiger' sanctuary opens in Madhya Pradesh
- DNA: World's first' White Tiger' sanctuary opens in Madhya Pradesh - Part II
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote