Ceasefire violations to be taken up at Indo-Pak DGMO meet: Shinde
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 23:13
  
Samba: Asserting that the issue of ceasefire violations would be taken up with Pakistan at a meeting of the Directors General of Military Operations of the two countries, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday said "stern action" would be initiated in the matter.

"We will take up the issue (of ceasefire violations) with Pakistan. It will be taken up with them at the flag meeting of DGMOs (of the two countries)," Shinde told reporters here.

There have been over 140 ceasefire violations so far this year along the International Border with Pakistan the highest in the past eight years.

Incidents of ceasefire violations since August, along with infiltration attempts, sniper strikes and attacks launched from across the border, have left seven security personnel dead while 26 persons were injured.

Over the last one week, over 200 persons, mostly women, children and elders, have fled their hamlets in the border areas due to the fear triggered by the firing and shelling along the 190km long International Border (IB) in Jammu.

"We cannot become tougher only by talking tougher. See the actions being taken. Whenever they break the rules... Break the order, we take action. It is not that we are not taking stern action and we have proved that," Shinde said.

Talking about the exodus triggered by the ceasefire violations, Shinde said, "There is information that people are leaving the (border) villages. I have information that a shelter has been created... And they (locals) are moving to that shelter at night."

PTI

First Published: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 23:13


comments powered by Disqus