CEC emphasises on stop money power in elections
Jaipur: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Sunday sought active participation of people and NGOs in ensuring free and fair polls.
Laying emphasis on the need to stop misuse of money and muscle power in elections, he said that the Commission is taking measures to keep track of candidates` expenditures and tracking of constituencies, where cases of misuse of money and muscle power are high.
Speaking at a conference here, Sampath sought public participation in checking irregularities at booth level.
Though the Commission forms squads to check irregularities at booths, active role of NGOs and people is important in electoral reforms to ensure free and fair polls, he said.
Stating that the Commission was taking measures to curb misuse of money, Sampath expressed concern on paid news and said that such cases are referred to the Press Council of India for further action.
Social activists Aruna Roy and Nikhil Dey were among others present in the conference organised on electoral reforms by an organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi