CEC emphasises on stop money power in elections
Jaipur: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Sunday sought active participation of people and NGOs in ensuring free and fair polls.
Laying emphasis on the need to stop misuse of money and muscle power in elections, he said that the Commission is taking measures to keep track of candidates` expenditures and tracking of constituencies, where cases of misuse of money and muscle power are high.
Speaking at a conference here, Sampath sought public participation in checking irregularities at booth level.
Though the Commission forms squads to check irregularities at booths, active role of NGOs and people is important in electoral reforms to ensure free and fair polls, he said.
Stating that the Commission was taking measures to curb misuse of money, Sampath expressed concern on paid news and said that such cases are referred to the Press Council of India for further action.
Social activists Aruna Roy and Nikhil Dey were among others present in the conference organised on electoral reforms by an organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report