CEC favours political party funding through cheques
Chandigarh: Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi said today that he is in favour of political party
funding through cheques, declaration of assets by them and
their auditing through Comptroller and Auditor General of
Also on the cards is a move to ban government
advertisements six months before the elections as "some of
these are nothing but political advertisements", Quraishi
These are just some of the many reforms the Election
Commission and the Union Law Ministry intends to bring in the
poll process, he told reporters at the Judicial Academy during
the Regional Consultation for Electoral reforms.
The CEC said the general perception among political
parties and the media was that EC has failed in its duties by
not debarring criminals.
But it was for Parliament to act in this direction, he
Quoting existing laws, he said a candidate could contest
the election unless convicted by the last court of appeal.
"The entire process may take 20 to 30 years," Quraishi
said, adding the path had to be treaded carefully as the
possibility of a political party using the tool of implication
as a shortcut to victory could not be ruled out.
The CEC and the Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily, who
was also present, said criminals should be debarred from
contesting the polls, money power to be checked and the
management of finance by political parties to be done in a
more transparent manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened