CEC favours political party funding through cheques
Chandigarh: Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi said today that he is in favour of political party
funding through cheques, declaration of assets by them and
their auditing through Comptroller and Auditor General of
Also on the cards is a move to ban government
advertisements six months before the elections as "some of
these are nothing but political advertisements", Quraishi
These are just some of the many reforms the Election
Commission and the Union Law Ministry intends to bring in the
poll process, he told reporters at the Judicial Academy during
the Regional Consultation for Electoral reforms.
The CEC said the general perception among political
parties and the media was that EC has failed in its duties by
not debarring criminals.
But it was for Parliament to act in this direction, he
Quoting existing laws, he said a candidate could contest
the election unless convicted by the last court of appeal.
"The entire process may take 20 to 30 years," Quraishi
said, adding the path had to be treaded carefully as the
possibility of a political party using the tool of implication
as a shortcut to victory could not be ruled out.
The CEC and the Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily, who
was also present, said criminals should be debarred from
contesting the polls, money power to be checked and the
management of finance by political parties to be done in a
more transparent manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown