CEC SY Quraishi retires today
New Delhi: Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) SY Quraishi is retiring on Sunday. He will be succeeded by VS Sampath who will take charge tomorrow.
A former bureaucrat, 62-year-old Veeravalli Sundaram Sampat has had stints in varied positions in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi. He was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of Election Commission until January, 2015 when he attains 65 years.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days