CEC SY Quraishi retires today
New Delhi: Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) SY Quraishi is retiring on Sunday. He will be succeeded by VS Sampath who will take charge tomorrow.
A former bureaucrat, 62-year-old Veeravalli Sundaram Sampat has had stints in varied positions in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi. He was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of Election Commission until January, 2015 when he attains 65 years.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says