Census figures shocking, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday described the Census
2011 figures as "an eye-opener and shocking" and insisted
that more efforts are needed to control the population failing
which there may not be enough resources left for survival of
the burgeoning numbers.
"The Census figures are shocking. Specially the
increasing gap in the ratio of male and female population in
the country. This is an eye-opener and a matter of concern,"
BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The Census 2011 states that the child sex ratio today is
914 females for every 1000 males in the country. This is the
lowest since independence.
"If immediate steps are not taken there will be
problems. There is already shortage of water and other
resources. Land is becoming barren in some parts of the
country. Government should worry about the growing
population," Hussain said.
He said that the erstwhile BJP-led NDA government
had made efforts in this direction but these may not have been
"Several efforts were made during the NDA. We also
tried (to check population explosion). If sincere efforts had
been made this would not have happened," Hussain said.
He praised the Sarva Sikhsha Abhiyan (Universal primary
education programme) started by the NDA and said this had led
to an impressive improvement in literacy today.
"We started the Sarva Siksha Abhiyan and the UPA
government continued with it. It has brought an improvement in
the literacy rate," he said.
The Census 2011 figures show that literacy in India
stands at 74 per cent.
Hussain said no party which has ruled should be blamed
for the rising population and the issue should not be
He defended the Ladli Lakshmi programme launched by the
BJP government in Madhya Pradesh, saying it was too early to
call it a failure and reiterated the party stand that if voted
to power NDA would implement it throughout the country.
The programme is aimed at giving sops to girls in the
field of education.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Nirbhaya-like rape in Kerala: Victim had 38-wounds on her body, says autopsy
- Hardik Patel doesn't get bail
- China sends advanced warships to contested S China Sea
- China sends advanced warships to contested south China Sea
- Gautam Khaitan admits to setting up firm through which Agusta bribe money was routed: Sources