Central advisory board for realignment of Child Labour Project
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the enactment of the Right to Education Act, a Central advisory board has favoured "realignment" of the National Child Labour
Project, which seeks to enroll rehabilitated children in special schools, with programmes relating to mainstream education.
The Central Advisory Board on Child Labour has said that since the RTE mandates education for every child, the National Child Labour Project (NCLP) should be realigned with programmes of the Ministry of Human Resource and Development.
During a meeting chaired by Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge yesterday, the Board stressed the need for further convergence of the NCLP with other programmes and schemes of other ministries.
It also underscored the need to link the NCLP programme with the Panchayati Raj system and the need to associate NCLP with other skill development initiative, said
an official of the Labour and Employment Ministry.
The meeting also called for periodic evaluation of the NCLP and highlighted the need to form a sub-committee comprising members of Central Advisory Board for periodical
monitoring of the scheme besides evaluation of child labour programmes.
The meeting was held in the backdrop of survey reports suggesting that several states are lagging behind in proper execution of NCLP, especially mainstreaming enrolled children
in special schools.
As per NCLP societies, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan and West Bengal had not mainstreamed any child enrolled in special schools during 2008-09.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre