Central cabinet like Alibaba and chalis chor: Sitaram Yechury
Berhampur: Dubbing the UPA II government at the Centre as `pro-rich and neck-deep in corruption`, CPI-M Politburo member Sitaram Yechury on Friday termed the central cabinet ministers as "Ali Baba and chalis chor".
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s cabinet is like Ali Baba and chalis chor( Alibaba and forty thieves) ," he said referring to the alleged scams in telecom, coal and Commonwealth Games.
Yechury, who was addressing a public meeting organised by Ganjam district unit of CPI-M to mark the end of its 20-day padayatra in over 300 villages, said the Congress-led regime had failed to curb the rise in prices of essential commodities and was functioning at the behest of the USA.
The UPA was giving tax relief to some affluent people but was failing to provide food security to all. “We (CPI-M) demand provision of 35-kg rice to all the people irrespective of APL or BPL at Rs 2 per kg.”
Yechury said CPI-M would continue to oppose FDI in retail, insurance and pension sectors. “During the erstwhile NDA regime Congress had supported us on FDI. BJP is now with us,” he said adding both the alliances were playing politics of opportunism and not looking into the issues facing the people.
CPI-M, he said, would stage a rally in New Delhi on March 19 to demand resignation of Manmohan Singh government unless it pursued pro-poor policies.
Slamming both UPA and NDA as `pro-rich and
opportunists`, Yechury today said a pro-people third front is likely to emerge as an alternative before the next general elections.
“The proposed third front will not be formed keeping an eye on formation of government, but to implement pro-people alternative policies in the country.”
Discussions were on with non-Congress and non-BJP political parties like Samajwadi Party, Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Janata Dal(S) and several others in this regard, he said adding talks would also be held with BJD.
“A possible alliance between BJD and CPI-M for the next general election will depend on how the regional party responds to the move for alternative policies,” he told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’