Central cabinet like Alibaba and chalis chor: Sitaram Yechury
Berhampur: Dubbing the UPA II government at the Centre as `pro-rich and neck-deep in corruption`, CPI-M Politburo member Sitaram Yechury on Friday termed the central cabinet ministers as "Ali Baba and chalis chor".
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s cabinet is like Ali Baba and chalis chor( Alibaba and forty thieves) ," he said referring to the alleged scams in telecom, coal and Commonwealth Games.
Yechury, who was addressing a public meeting organised by Ganjam district unit of CPI-M to mark the end of its 20-day padayatra in over 300 villages, said the Congress-led regime had failed to curb the rise in prices of essential commodities and was functioning at the behest of the USA.
The UPA was giving tax relief to some affluent people but was failing to provide food security to all. “We (CPI-M) demand provision of 35-kg rice to all the people irrespective of APL or BPL at Rs 2 per kg.”
Yechury said CPI-M would continue to oppose FDI in retail, insurance and pension sectors. “During the erstwhile NDA regime Congress had supported us on FDI. BJP is now with us,” he said adding both the alliances were playing politics of opportunism and not looking into the issues facing the people.
CPI-M, he said, would stage a rally in New Delhi on March 19 to demand resignation of Manmohan Singh government unless it pursued pro-poor policies.
Slamming both UPA and NDA as `pro-rich and
opportunists`, Yechury today said a pro-people third front is likely to emerge as an alternative before the next general elections.
“The proposed third front will not be formed keeping an eye on formation of government, but to implement pro-people alternative policies in the country.”
Discussions were on with non-Congress and non-BJP political parties like Samajwadi Party, Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Janata Dal(S) and several others in this regard, he said adding talks would also be held with BJD.
“A possible alliance between BJD and CPI-M for the next general election will depend on how the regional party responds to the move for alternative policies,” he told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi