Central package for modernising police in Arunachal
Itanagar: The government on Saturday said a central package was in the offing for modernising police forces in Arunachal Pradesh`s Tirap and Changlang districts, bordering Nagaland and Myanmar.
"A special central package is in the offing for modernising police forces in Tirap and Changlang...The union home ministry has already sanctioned setting up of more police stations and recruitment of police," Union Home Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference here.
"Besides, CRPF were being inducted to counter insurgent activities," he said after attending a review meeting on security situation of the state.
The Arunachal Pradesh government has already started the process of recruitment for 1,526 police personnel for both the districts and their training process would start from July 2.
"Of the total sanctioned strength, 400 policemen will be promoted from the existing force, while the rest will be recruited. The state government is undertaking the recruitment process in phased manner," he said.
When his attention was drawn to the reported turf war between NSCN(IM) and NSCN(K) in both the districts, Chidambaram said the ceasefire agreement with the Naga outfit did not extend to Arunachal Pradesh and the state government could take stern action against the cadres of both the factions.
"They (NSCN factions) are fighting among themselves to eliminate both...If they try to make people suffer due to their infighting, our forces will take firm action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral