Centre aims at increasing literacy by 80%
Hyderabad: Centre is making efforts to
increase literacy in the country by 80 per cent by 2015 and
enrolment into higher education by 30 per cent by 2020, Union
Minister of State for Human Resource Development D
Purandeswari said here today.
She was speaking at the International Literacy Day
celebrations held here today.
Pointing out that enrolment rate into higher education
was a mere 12.4 per cent as against 40 per cent in advanced
countries, Purandeswari said the Centre aimed at achieving 30
per cent by the end of 2020.
The Centre was implementing several other schemes
including `Saakshar Bharat` mission, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan,
Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan for promoting literacy at
various levels in the society, she said.
Women have been given a prominent place in implementation
of the schemes like `Saakshar Bharat` as a literate woman can
in turn educate her family and also the society, the minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway