Centre allots Rs 7,300 cr package as part of anti-naxal plan

Last Updated: Friday, October 9, 2009 - 22:24

New Delhi: With nearly 40,000 para-military
personnel being deployed in four Maoist-hit states, the Centre
has readied its anti-naxal plan which also includes Rs 7,300
crore package for unleashing developmental works in areas
cleared off the Left-wing extremists.

As part of its "holistic" anti-naxal plan, the funds
would be disbursed in this fiscal and spent over a span of
three years in those areas where the naxals were driven out.

The key difference in current strategy is that the
government will have a heavy concentration of security forces
to ensure elimination of the naxals and restoration of civil
administration.
"We hope that literally within 30 days of security
forces moving in and dominating the area, we should be able to
restore civil administration there," Home Secretary G K Pillai
told reporters here.

"In the first year, we will spend Rs 1,000 crore in
areas where civil administration is restored after succesfully
eliminating the Naxal menace. The development package has
already been worked out in consultation with the states," he
said.

According to the plan, initially six districts of four
states -- Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Maharahstra --
have been chosen to implement the strategy and after its
completion, the security forces will be moved into new areas.

So far, the Centre has provided around 40,000 personnel
of central paramilitary forces for the anti-naxal operation
and some more would be pumped in.

The Centre is also asking the state governments to take
initiative to strengthen police stations, health centres,
schools, public distribution system, roads and security to
contractors so that they can carry out normal works.

The government feels that Naxal menace can be wiped out
from across the country by 12 months to 30 months. Around 25
lakh people live in areas where Maoists are now having a free
run.
"We would love to have more paramilitary forces to
restore civil administration in larger areas. But we would for
the time being manage with what we have and we are not really
calling upon either the Army or the Air Force or the Navy to
help us," the Home Secretary said.

However, the government, apart from using the Air Force
helicopters for evacuation and reinforcement purposes, will
also take the help of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle and Global
Positioning System for reconnaissance and surveillance.

Asked about renewed Maoists violence in some parts of the
country, Pillai said the Naxals were trying to show their
might as they were worried over the safety of their top
leaders.

"They are taking their leaders to safety. They don`t want
their leaders to be exposed," he said.

Bureau Report



First Published: Friday, October 9, 2009 - 22:24

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus