Centre asks Assam to seize illegal arms
New Delhi:) The Centre has asked Assam government to immediately arrest those involved in ethnic clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims and seize illegal weapons by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
Seeking to downplay the fresh spell of violence in the state which has claimed six lives so far, Union Home Secretary R K Singh termed this as "isolated incidents" and not a "flare up" as two of the cases were related to harvesting and another to extortion.
"We are very, very cautious. The DGP has assured the Centre that he will take stringent action on all these incidents. We will hunt down those involved. This is not a flare up. These are isolated incidents," he told reporters.
Singh said Assam DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury today visited violence-hit Kokrajhar and briefed him about the prevailing situation there.
He said around 6,500 personnel of paramilitary forces were deployed in the affected areas to maintain law and order and some more forces would be given soon on a request of the DGP.
Meanwhile, the Home Ministry has asked Assam government to be on high alert, deploy Army and seize illegal arms to put an end to the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims.
The Home Ministry also asked the Defence Ministry to make available Army personnel whenever necessary to assist the civil administration in restoring normalcy.
The Army staged flag marches in Kokrajhar where indefinite curfew is in force.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net for Chhattisgarh Board CGBSE 10th X Class High School (HS) Exam Results 2016